Monday, March 24, 2008

The Scene Across the Street

OH DEAR SWEET LORD Y'ALL!!!
I have to post this because I just witnessed it, and it was WAY too messed up not to share with you guys. I walked out of my apartment on my way to the fancy food market to buy Hen of the Woods mushrooms, and Tibetan goji berries (you know...like you do) and right across the street from my place I saw a woman screaming at the top of her lungs, and pushing this man. She was yelling,

"I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! LET ME IN YOUR APARTMENT! I AM GOING TO SLEEP ON YOUR COUCH! I HATE YOU! LET ME IN!"

The man was cowering in the doorway, and trying to stop her from pushing him, and punching him in the chest. She threw her keys at him, and picked them up off the ground, and began hitting him with them balled up in her fist.

"I HATE YOU! LET ME IN YOUR PLACE! I AM GOING TO KILL MYSELF! LET ME IN GODDAMN IT! I HATE YOU! THEN EVERYONE WILL KNOW YOU ARE A LYING CHEATING ASSHOLE! I HATE YOU! LET ME IN!"

So naturally I did what any person would do confronted with this type of situation.

I hid behind a minivan so I could see what would happen next.
Once again, read the title kids...I've got some issues.
Seriously though, I'm kind of sick that way.
I HAVE to look at traffic accidents to see if there are bodies on the road.
Yes, I am the person responsible for all of that gridlock that you have been stuck behind on the New Jersey Turnpike.
You're welcome.

"I HATE YOU! LET ME IN! I HATE YOU! I'M TAKING OFF ALL OF MY CLOTHES! LET ME IN OR I AM TAKING OFF ALL OF MY CLOTHES! I AM GOING TO GET NAKED! I HATE YOU!"

So then take a stab at what happened next?
She started taking her clothes off.
Seriously.
The boy at this point was on his cell phone presumably trying to reach someone at Bellevue to see if they do pick-ups.
It was HORRIBLE gang.
The girl got completely naked in the 30 degree weather, and kept screaming at this guy that she hated him. That he had to let her into his apartment. That he was a liar and a cheater.

Part of me really wanted to go over there, throw a blanket over the poor girl, and tell her that she did not want to do this.

"Listen honey, I know this sucks. I know he's an asshole and that your heart is broken, and you don't know what to do. I know that you are frantic and panicking, and that nothing makes sense right now. Believe me, I have been there. But this is NOT helping you, or him, or your relationship whatever that may be. You need to go home now, and rest, and regroup. You are not thinking clearly, and that is perfectly understandable. I know you think that the pain will never get better. I know you feel like you can't live without him, like you can't breathe. But you can, and you will. I promise you. It hurts like hell right now, I know. But why give him the satisfaction of seeing you like this? You are only reinforcing a negative image of yourself, and he is the asshole here not you, right? NO MAN is worth this sweetie. Believe me, I know. You are better than this. You will be okay. You need to go home."

That's what I wanted to say.
But quite frankly the girl scared the shit out of me, and I was fairly sure that if I approached her she would have pounced on me like I was a cupcake at fat camp.

I couldn't watch anymore so I left them both to their humiliation, and I went off to buy my groceries. But I still can't stop thinking about the girl. I know her pain and her anger. I have lived through betrayal, and I know what heartbreak can do to someone's rational mind. But after witnessing that sordid scene I have to give myself some props. As bad as things got, no one ever saw me naked, and screaming in the streets of Greenpoint. Let's all be grateful for that. God bless you honey, wherever you are. I am praying for you. Hang in. You can get through this. But dear Lord please keep your clothes on.

3 comments:

KHSOMusic said...

WOW.
Thanks for sharing this with us all, Frances! I've never experienced that, nor do I expect/hope to anytime soon...but, I live vicariously through your experience(s) hehe
God bless! Even more, God bless her! :)

AmyTheFreak said...

I'm glad I never got naked... in public. I can totally feel what she was going through, I'm happy I'm not THAT crazy.

The Only Living Girl in New York said...

That is brilliant. I have never seen such a thing in New York, and I've seen alot of horrific things living here!